dinsdag 14 oktober 2014

Renovating the bathroom/De badkamer verbouwen

Past week two very hard working experts had been busy renovating the bathroom. We hired a Dutch company, but the men working at our bathroom are Victor from Russia and Pavel from Latvia.Very skilled and very friendly. They love my coffee and home made cake and cookies. I can laugh with Victor, who speaks Dutch and English as well, and Pavel is always looking worried about my wishes and explains what is possible and what is not possible. Almost everything is possible.  They clean up every evening and return every morning very early. But there is a lot of dust in the house. So I have to dust every day. Buying and deciding all the sanitair costs a lot of time. There is always unexpted decissions to make. I had to buy everything on the Internet!!! But I am happy to go to the showroom in Amsterdam, where skilled men advise me before ordering.

De hele week zijn we bezig geweest met de renovatie van onze badkamer. Hoewel we met een Nederlands bedrijf werken, doen Victor uit Rusland en Pavel uit Letland het werk. Ze werken goed, zorgvuldig en netjes. Elke avond ruimen ze op en 's ochtends vroeg bellen ze weer aan. Met Victor, die Nederlands en Engels spreekt,  kan ik grappen maken en Pavel heeft altijd een zorgelijke trek bij elk voorstel of wens. Hij legt altijd uit wat wel of niet kan en lijkt me heel redelijk. Maar uiteindelijk komt hij met voorstellen, zodat bijna alles kan wat we willen. Maar wat gaat er een tijd zitten in iedere keer het huis stofvrij maken. Ook het kopen van het sanitair kost tijd. Er zijn zoveel dingen waaraan je moet denken. Ook dit koop je tegenwoordig op Internet, maar gelukkig is er een showroom in Amsterdam, waar ik uitstekend geholpen wordt voor ik de spullen bestel.

The shower! In twoo weeks I can take a shower.

Together with my granddaughter I discovered swimming again, but only in warm water! I always thought there was only cold water in the swimming pools! I hate jumping in cold water! But I love the warm water pool and I intend to swim every week a few times. The swimming pool is almost next door! It is a very old, but next to it, they are building a new beautiful swimming pool. On the walls in the old swimming pool are funny paintings. It make me think of new quilt projects with funny elephants and caterpillars.

Met mijn kleindochter heb ik het zwemmen weer ontdekt, maar nu in warm water! Ik dacht dat al het water in zwembaden nog altijd koud was! Ik ga nu in de strijd tegen de kilootjes elke week een paar keer zwemmen, heerlijk! Het zwembad vlakbij ons is oud, maar ernaast verschijnt al een prachtig nieuw bad. In het oude bad staan op de muur allemaal grappige tekeningen van bijvoorbeeld een olifant of duizendpoot. Ik moet daarbij steeds aan nieuwe quiltprojecten denken.


Dieting is difficult with friends from Maroc, Iran and Irak. My husband helps some students from university better understanding , better speaking and writing  Dutch. Sometimes they have diner with us and sometimes they cook for us. This weekend we went to Simo from Maroc. He and his Dutch girlfriend cooked delicious tajine withquince fruit for us and they made a delicious cheese cake with orange blossom water.
Hodda from Iran and het Iraqui husband eated with us. We cooked a Indonesian rice table for them. There are a lot of Durch peaple with roos in Indonesia, that's why Indonisian food is popular in The Netherlands. And of course it is delicious.
I swimmed three times last week and keep me diet, but I lost  no weight! Have to try it again this week.

De strijd tegen de kilo's is moeilijk met vrienden die uit Marokko, Irak en Iran komen. Mijn man helpt oudere, integrerende studenten met Nederlands voor hun studie en scripties. Zij komen af en toe bij ons eten of wij eten bij hen. Dit weekend hebben we bij Simo uit Marokko en zijn Neerlandse vriending heerlijk Marokaans gegeten. Hodda en Saïd uit Iran en Iraq hebben bij ons Indonesisch gegeten. Het hele effect van een week lijnen en zwemmen is weg!

Simo's tajine
Indonisian ricetable
I had to little  time to sew this week, but I have made two mini quilts of the bonus-fabric I dyed at the workshop of Will Opio Oguto. The inspiration of the design is an art quilt made by Will too. Follow the link and you will see this beautiful quilt/ I had just enough fabric for the tops and binding. The back is a green shade cotton, also dyed at the workshop. I used red and green thread for the quilting.
My husband said that the quilts are my first ''art guilts'. How sweet he can be!!!!

Ik had weinig tijd om te naaien deze week, maar ik heb toch deze twee miniquilts gemaakt van mijn geverfde lap op de workshop van  Will Opio Oguto. De inspiratie van het design van the miniquilts zijn ook van Wil. Volg de link en je ziet haar prachtige vogelquilt. De lap was net groot genoeg voor de top en de bies, de achterkant is lap in een lichtgroene kleur, ook van de workshop. Ik heb rood en groen garen gebruikt voor het quilten.
Mijn man merkte op dat hij deze twee quiltjes meer 'kunstwerken' vond. Wat kan hij soms lief zijn!!!!




Next week I like to sew a little bit more. I make a play quilt with four small VW-busses My daughter wants them in the same color as het wall quilt VW-bus. I have really soft woolen batting. I bought it in this excellent quiltshop: Mariana's quiltcorner.
Volgende week ga ik een boxkleed maken voor de baby van mijn dochter die over een maand geboren wordt. Vier VW-bussen erop in dezelfde kleur als haar VW-bus-wandkleed. Ik heb nog heerlijk wollen tussenvulling, gekocht in Marina's quiltcorner in Bilthoven.


A new project with VW-busses: a playmat for my pregnant daughter.

I want to make a 38 x 24 inch sampler with graffitty patterns. Just to practice new patterns.  I will use beautiful multicolored Superior thread. I need to draw a lot in my sketchbook too. Some patterns are easy to sew, but for some I need to 'train' my eye hand coordination. Of course I will try some wonderful patterns of my color book for adults.

Ik ga een 60 x 80 cm proeflap quilten met graffitty patronen. Daarvoor moet ik veel tekenen, omdat niet alle patronen even makkelijk voor me zijn. Voor veel patronen moet ik mijn oog-hand-coordinatie trainen. Natuurlijk haal ik veel patroontjes uit mijn kleurboek voor volwassenen.

Some marking and ready for the fun!
Beautiful Superior multicolored thread! 

Stash report
Used this Week: 2 yards
Used year to Date: 15 yards
Added this Week: 4 yards
Added Year to Date: 20 yards
Net: 7 yards to my stash.

It is so nice of you stopping by, I love to hear from everyone of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have a question I will try and respond by e-mail. Please make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I wont be able to e-mail you back.
If you need to reach me feel free to e-mail me: maartjequilt@gmail.com

Fijn dat u langs kwam, ik hoor graag van iedereen en stel je commentaar zeer op prijs.
Heb je een vraag, dan wil ik die graag beantwoorden. Zorg dat je profiel gelinkt is aan je email, dan kan ik je bereiken.
Als je mij wilt bereiken, mail me dan naar: maartjequilt@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reading/dank je voor het lezen van mijn bericht.

Love from Amsterdam, keep quilting

Maartje





13 opmerkingen:

  1. I love hearing about life in your corner of the world! Such beautiful quilts and the VW bus makes me smile!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I too love all the work you are doing....hope the remodel is going well.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Love the hand dyed fabric pieces. The bird silhouette was a perfect addition! Can't wait to see your newest VW bus! Congratulations to your daughter, Grandma!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hello Maartje,

    Now that I have finally taken my eyes off the photos of all that wonderful food I have been gazing at your little quilts. The silhouettes of the swallows are so beautiful!

    Love , Muv

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hi Maartje,
    thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I really loved Amsterdam and hope to come back one day.
    Your VW buses are beautiful! We once had such a bus.
    Greetings from germany, near the dutch border (Winterswijk). :-)
    Steffi

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Maartje - your "Art Quilts" are so very beautiful -- thanks for sharing them. The VW bus is just the cutest thing too ! Can't wait to see what you create with that superior thread. Take good care, Karen

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Beautiful projects Maartje! I really like the VW bus!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I *love* your swallow minis! They're so perfect on that fabric, and they have a feeling of joy.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I really like the dyed fabric with the bird...it's almost as if the bird is out flying at sunset. I can't wait to see the VW buses. Those are so cute. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Always fun to check in and see what you are up to, Maartje.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. beautiful! I love the food picture, how gorgeous and delicious looking. I worked for a Dutch man when I lived in Canada and learned a few words, not enough to get by when I visited Amsterdam and Harlaam though! The thread just glistens. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I love the swallows! Lovely!
    Groete uit Suid Afrika. Altyd lekker om jou werk te sien.
    Janeen

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Your art quilts are gorgeous and so is your dyed fabric. I really enjoyed reading your post. Looking forward to seeing the finished bathroom and the VW play quilt.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen