zaterdag 5 oktober 2013

SewCalGal fmq challenge 2013 finished!

When I started sewing again in December 2012 I did not know anything about quilting. When I was  sewing a beautiful dress for one of my granddaughters I had a lot of troubles with my 45 year old old sewing machine. I bought a new machine a Husqvarna Emerald 183 for 300 euro. I loved all the new possibilities  and the sound of my new machine. I looked at a lot of blogs and websites about sewing and found websites with quilts and I was hooked. After a while I wanted to know more of machine quilting and I found Leah Day's blog and I was hooked again but now to free motion quilting. I bought cotton in a lot of colors and a lot of black cotton and started free motion quilting and blogging. I finished in May my first quilt with more than 465 quilt patterns. I quilted for four weeks to fi nish it. At least it is colorful and the quilting is not too bad!


Toen ik in december 2012 na jaren weer begon met naaien, wist ik niets van quilten. Na een hoop ergenis bij het naaien van een jurk voor een kleindochter, kocht ik een nieuwe naaimachine,. Het werd een Husqvarna Emerald 183 voor 300 euro en ik zette mijn 45 jaar oude Husqvarna 2000 in een hoek. Wat een nieuwe mogelijkheden! Wat een heerlijk geluid! Ik keek op blogs en websites over naaien en maakte kennis met quilts. Ik wilde meer weten van machine quilten en vond Leah Days website. Ik was direct verslaafd. Ik kocht katoen in allerlei kleuren en een vooral veel zwart. Zo ontstond mijn eerst quilt met meer dan 465 verschillende quiltpatronen. Ik heb er vier weken over gedaan.
Het is in ieder geval een kleurrijke quilt en het quilten uit de vrije hand is niet al te slecht!

My first quilt inspired by Leah Day!

I wanted to learn more free motion quilting. Not only new patterns. That is I think why Laeh's quilt alongs and exersizes  did not appeal to me anymore. I wanted to learn more about fmq and found the SewCalGal fmq challenge 2013. All those tutorials from expert free motion quilters. Free motion quilting in different techniques and in different styles. It was also fun to watch the work of these expert free motion quilters and to read their tutorials. After finishing the tutorials I had the confidence to fmq. All the friendly comments on this blog helps too! But I have still a lot to learn and to found my way!

Om me verder te bekwamen in het quilten uit de vrije hand moest ik op zoek naar nieuwe uitdagingen. Niet alleen nieuwe patroontjes leren. De quilt alongs en lessen van Leah boeiden me niet meer, Een cursus in Nieuwegein was een enorme teleurstelling. Maar ik vond de website van 'SewCalGal challenge 2013': een verzameling tutorials van expert machine quilters met allerlei verschillende technieken en stijlen. Het was alleen al een ervaring om kennis te maken met al het werk van deze geweldige quilters! Na het maken van de opdrachten had ik meer zelfvertrouwen om op mijn manier te quilten uit de vrije hand. Alle positieve opmerkingen van de lezers van mijn blog, hebben daar ook aan bij gedragen. Maar ik moet nog veel leren en mijn eigen stijl vinden.

This post is an overview of all the assignments I made for the fmq challenge the past month!

Dit bericht is een overzicht van al het werk dat ik voor de fmq challenge heb gemaakt.

Challenge # 1 2013: Libby Lehman's ribbon
#1 Came to piece: This piece get lost somewhere
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-40258611477147/14-849-unawareness-3.gif
#2 Unawareness AAQI 14,849

Piece to replace #1 Came to piece:  AAQI 14.527

2013 FMQ Challenge #2 - AAQI Pieces

A beautiful card I received in the swap!


I card I send far away in the swap!

Another card that is on his way far away!
Challenge #4 Postcards
Challenge #5 - It's All About Borders, with Patsy Thompson



Januari challenge: Francis Moore


 






February challenge: Diane Gaudynski


March challenge: Anne Vahl (fillers)







April challenge: Don Linn


 May challenge: Lea Day (fillers)








Julne challenge 2012 Cindy Needham
July challenge, Angela Waters tile design with nine other challenges!
August challenge: Wendy Sheppard, Jester Hat

September challenge: Paula Reid
I had no tulle, but this worked as well!

October challenge: Teri Lucas


November challenge: Sarah Vedeler: Swirls
December chalenge is challenge # 5 2013 All about borders




Bonus challenge #2




Fabric used this week  0.5 yards
Fabric used year to date  27 yards
Fabric added this week  4 yards
Fabric added year to date  47,5 yards
                                           Netto added this year 20 yards



It is so nice of you stopping by, I love to hear from everyone of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have a question I will try and respond via e-mail. Please make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I wont be able to e-mail you back.

If you need to reach me feel free to e-mail me: maartjequilt@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reading

Keep quilting!

Maartje Quilt
Amsterdam

11 opmerkingen:

  1. Your free motion quilting is fabulous! I especially like the little cacti.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I can't believe you have only been doing this since December, 2012! Your fmq is absolutely beautiful!. You have inspired me to start practicing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Very impressive. Thanks so much for sharing.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Wow, your quilting is amazing - and you've only had 9 months of practice. I'm still struggling after a few years, perhaps I need to commit to those exercises that Leah Day has.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. That is an amazing display of quilting, Maartje! You have definitely found your "sweet spot"!! Whoop whoop!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. You have some fabulous work! I've seen the SewCalGirl lessons but never followed them yet. After seeing what you've done I think I should go back and try them!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Wow! Maartje you have some wonderful free motion quilting samplers! Love the quilt with all the colorful squares! A great way to try play with all the Leah Day freemotion quilting designs. I participated in the first 6months of SewCalGirl's challenge.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Your FMQ is amazing - really beautiful work Maartje!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Dat is de schoonheid .... zoveel prachtig werk .... je bent heel slim .... Ik wil graag voor u te gluren :-)
    Ajka

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Oh You Have Done An Awesome Blog On You Gorgeous Quilting. Love Your Quilting!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Oh qué maravilla de acolchados. Me encanta tu blog. Te felicito. y me quedo como seguidora.
    Un beso

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen