vrijdag 20 september 2013

That's life

A quiet week. We looked for houses and visited the two houses on our list, but we did not decided which house we will go for.
Yesterday I had dinner with a dear friend. We lived next to each other when we raised our children. She is divorcing after 42 years of marriage! Of course another woman. She is strong but it is a sad story. Her husband is so out of character now, that she is happy to divorce, but there is a lot of sadness. A 42 years marriage has a lot of good moments. When my husband left me after 25 years of marriage, I missed those little moments too. Looking proud together to the children, Sunday breakfast, riding in the car together ........
But both our husbands seemed to have secrets that drove them away from there marriage. Things we both heard about after our marriage. When we had known,  we have ended our marriages years before. I still wonder how someone can stay in a marriage with those secrets and lies and talking about love?I am afraid I will never find the answer. But lives go on and I have a wonderful husband and I love the suns and their wives who came with him. Two more grandchilds and another one within two months! Women are strong. My friend is strong too!

Een rustig weekje. We hebben de huizen bekeken waar we in  geïnteresseerd zijn maar nog geen beslissing genomen.
Gisteren uit eten geweest met een vriendin. We woonden naast elkaar toen onze kinderen opgroeiden. Na 42 jaar huwelijk is haar man vertrokken.Ze is sterk, maar het blijft triest. Het is nu een compleet andere man en ze zou niet langer met hem getrouwd willen zijn nu, maar het blijft triest. In 42 jaar huwelijk heb je ook gelukkige momenten. Toen mijn man me naar 25 jaar huwelijk verliet, miste ik ook het meest die kleine dingen. Samen trots naar de kinderen kijken, het ontbijt zondagś , samen rijden in de auto......
Maar beide echtgenoten hadden geheimen die beide uiteindelijk weg dreven uit hun  huwelijk.  Als we het geweten hadden, hadden we beide ons huwelijk jaren eerder beëindigd! I vraag me altijd af, hoe iemand in een huwelijk an blijven met zulke geheimen en leugens en doen alsof ze van iemand houden? Ik zal wel nooit het antwoord vinden.Maar het leven gaat verder. Ik heb een fijne man  en met hem zijn zijn zoons en vrouwen in mijn leven gekomen, met schatten van kleinkinderen. Vrouwen zijn sterk en mijn vriendin is ook sterk!

But although the pain  we enjoyed our evening together. We had dinner in a small wine bar. They have excellent wines and some delicious food. I love their goat cheese croquettes.

Toch hebben we genoten van ons etentje in een klein wijnbarretje in Hilversum.
Daar heb je heerlijke wijnen en een kleine kaart met heerlijke gerechten. Ik ben gek op de geitenkaascroquetten.

 
Winebar Vintage at Hilversum It was raining so we had to dinner inside

Of course I had my sewing machine on the table. I had to finish a border for a medaillion quilt swap. I received a beautiful star center piece made by a professional. It was of course paper pieced. I shopped for matching fabrics at my local quilt shop. I made a border with eight paper pieced points.  Points in the corners and in the middle of the borders. It was my very first paper piecing. It looks so easy on You Tube tutorials!!!! But after two days!!! of sewing the star with border is ready to send away for another border.
I am pleased with the result and the fabrics, but I cannot show it to you. But I will show you my first ever paper pieced  blocks.



Natuurlijk heb ik de naaimachine op tafel gehad. Ik heb een rand genaaid aan een prachtig block met een ster voor een 'Medaillion quilt swap'. Aan de prachtige ster moest ik een rand van 2 inch naaien. Ik heb voor het eerst blokjes gemaakt met paper piecing. Dat is toch niet zo makkelijk als het lijkt op een you tube filmpje. De stoffen die passen bij de ster heb ik gevonden bij Quiltshop de Bricoleur in tuindorp Oostzaan. Ik ben toch tevreden over het resultaat, maar ik heb er ookj twee dagen over gedaan! Helaas kan ik voorlopig alleen de blokjes laten zien. De top is nu onderweg naar Israel voor de volgende rand.

Other finishes this week are postcards and blocks for my quilt along. I had a lot of trouble with my machine. I used about ten needles! I had to rip out a lot of stitches, put the thread through the needle again and again and used my screw driver a lot. Yesterday I decide enough is enough and brought my machine to the store. It will last 14 days!!!! That is too long. But I saw how busy they were so protesting would be not fair. I had to find another solution. The good thing: I have more time for house hunting.


Van de week heb ik verder kaarten en blokken voor de quilt along genaaid. Het was doffe ellende met een naaimachine die steeds vastliep, naalden die braken en draad wat steeds weer ingeregen moest worden. Ik heb heel wat steken uit moeten halen en tien nieuwe naalden gebruikt! Gisteren heb ik mijn naaimachine weggebracht. Het duurt veertien!!! dagen voor ik de machine terug krijg. Maar protesteren had geen zin. Ik zag de enorme stapel gerepareerde machines en de stapel die weer klaar stond voor reparatie. Ik moet iets anders verzinnen, maar heb nu genoeg tijd voor het zoeken naar een huis.

I think I used all the fabrics I used in these blocks and they are much better  then the first blocks I pieced for the Quilt Along
I pieced this blocks on my old machine (Husqvarna 2000). It is a better piecer than my Husqvarna Emerald.

Ik heb deze blokken genaaid met mijn oude Husqvarna 2000 die ik naar de kringloop wilde brengen. Maar het ging veel beter dan met mijn Husqvarna Emerald!


A few of my cards.


Stash report:

Fabric used this week  0.5 yards
Fabric used year to date  27,5 yards
Fabric added this week  - yards
Fabric added year to date  47,5 yards
                                           Netto added this year 20 yards

It is so nice of you for stopping by, I love to hear from everyone of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.

If you have a question I will try and respond via e-mail. Please make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I wont be able to e-mail you back.

If you need to reach me feel free to e-mail me at maartjequilt@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reading

Keep quilting!

Maartje Quilt
Amsterdam

13 opmerkingen:

  1. Good luck with the house hunting! Sometimes life is tough but it is amazing how we get through it. Love your quilting simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. As always your quilting is beautiful! Best wishes to your friend and thank you for sharing your story xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I love the photographs of the wine bar! I know what you mean about not showing finished photographs. It is hard not to share, but somethings need to be kept secret until the right time.

    Thank you for the comment on my blog. Your email came through set to noreply, just to let you know.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. really nice quilting, with changes of colors.
    LeeAnna Paylor

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Good luck with the house and be strong with your new husband!!Hugs Bambi

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I love your bright nine-patch blocks. The colors are so vibrant and fun!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I love that feather quilting! Just amazing! Whoop whoop!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I love all the vibrant colors in your fabrics! And that multi-colored feather is wild and fun!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. enjoyed reading your blog and admiring all your lovely cards! You are an excellent free motion quilter!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. 14 Days is SO LONG! Hopefully, all the house hunting will be done by then and you can focus on sewing. Lovely cards!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your free motion quilting... Such fun patterns! Good luck with your house hunt and yes... Women ARE strong.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen