zondag 25 augustus 2013

Quilt along: First pieced blocks

I discovered quilting in March and fell in love with free motion quilting, so I made a lot of samplers, some applique blocks and pieced some borders and just one quilt with fmq samplers. But I thought piecing a waste of time! But I see so many beautiful quilts I want to make with pieced blocks. I pieced a doll quilt and a table runner.  My granddaughter is happy with the doll quilt and I use the table runner sometimes, but I did a terrible job. I am a skilled seamstress, but piecing is a different kind of sport and I need to practice to do it well. Like I needed to practice quilting a lot.

Ik maak quilts sinds maart en vind het heerlijk om uit de vrije hand op de naaimachine te quilten. Maart een top maken met al die blocken uit kleine lapjes trok me niet. Ik heb het wel geprobeerd en ondanks dat ik netjes kan naaien,  is het maken van blokken een andere tak van sport, mijn eerste pogingen, een quiltje voor een pop en een tafelloper waren mislukkingen.

I like to join link parties. I meet lovely quilters and see a lot of blogs new to me with all kind of things I never heard off. I met a bloggers who joined the 'Aiming for accuracy quilt along', with tutorials and loads of information.

Ik neem graag deel aan linky parties om zo kennis te maken met quilters en allerlei zaken die met quilten te maken hebben en waarvan ik nog nooit gehoord had. Zo maakte ik kennis met een Quilt Along waar je leert heel accuraat blocken te maken. Op de website van de  Quilt along staan tutorialsw en een grote hoeveelheid informatie.



I joined the Facebook group of the quilt a long more than a month ago, but decided Friday to guilt along! I did not like the design of the quilt along (I know that is not important!), but I changed my mind when I saw so many colorful  blocks of the participants on Facebook.
So I looked  for some fabrics in my stash and bought some yellow and green fabrics and started with the quilt along. 

Deelnemers aan de Quilt Along hebben een Facebook-groep and daar heb ik prachtige blokken gezien van de deelnemers. Dus heb ik besloten deel te nemen.

First lesson accurate cutting, made me really humble. I was not as accurate as I thought! Two days later I finished two blocks. Yesterday block lesson 9 and today block lessen 2. I need correct one seam in the lesson 2 block, but I did that already two times. It is enough for today!. Tomorrow is another day.
And besides of learning to sew a HST I learned that piecing is fun to do too. But that is always even the most worse or dull subjects during my academic study, were interesting and some times fun after a lot of exercising and mastering it!

Ik dacht dat ik goed overweg kon met the rotary cutter, maar dankzij de eerste les van de Quilt along snijd ik ook kleine vierkanten en strips een stuk zorgvuldiger. Ik was stomverbaasd als een vierkant soms toch een kwart inch kleiner was dan bedoeld! Bij een sampler is dat niet erg, maar bij het maken van blokken wel. Behalve zorgvuldiger snijden en HST's naaien heb ik geleerd dat het maken van blocken leuk is. Ik heb nu het blok van les 2 en les 9 af. Ik ben tevreden over het blok van les 9.  Van het blok van les 2, haal ik nog een naad uit. Maar dat heb ik al twee keer gedaan, dus ik ga nu wat quilten uit de vrije hand en morgen is er weer een dag.
Block lesson 9 I rotated the green block 180 degrees.



Fabric used this week  0.5 yards
Fabric used year to date  25,5 yards
Fabric added this week  5 yards
Fabric added year to date  43,5 yards
                                           Netto added this year 18 yards



It is so nice of you for stopping by, I love to hear from everyone of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.

If you have a question I will try and respond via e-mail. Please make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I wont be able to e-mail you back.

If you need to reach me feel free to e-mail me at maartjequilt@gmail.com

Thanks so much for reading

Keep quilting!

Maartje Quilt
Amsterdam




3 opmerkingen:

  1. Quilting since March...I can't believe it. You are doing really, really well. Your blocks look lovely and very accurate...and as I said before, your FMQ is brilliant.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I enjoyed seeing your blocks. I think I am not very accurate when I cut either. I don't know if it is my eyes or my rotary cutter. Thanks for sharing.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Nice work. You'll have fun watching your progress as you piece more and more blocks.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen